Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
It’s hard to pick a favorite taco, but after one bite of these Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos, you’ll definitely be begging for more. Unlike traditional pork-based tacos, this chicken taco recipe uses a much leaner protein. A common concern with lean proteins, like chicken breasts, is that the meat will overcook and come out dry, which is where the slow cooker comes in: by combining a mixture of chicken broth, garlic, cumin and jalapeño and cooking the mixture down slowly, the juices infuse the meat with flavor and moisture. No more dry, stringy chicken!
We know it can be tempting to rely on pre-made flavor mixes and spice packets for Taco Tuesdays (or any other night you’re making tacos…), but this recipe is so easy you won’t miss the pre-packaged mixes.
Got extras? Store leftovers in the fridge with the meat separate from the tortillas and toppings. Unless you like soggy tacos (no one likes soggy tacos.) Then use the leftovers to make quesadillas, wraps, or even pile the filling on top of nachos!
- 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers seeded and deveined, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas warm
- 1 cup pico de gallo or fresh tomato salsa
- 1 medium ripe avocado sliced
- 1 medium lime cut into 4 wedges
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Place chicken broth, garlic, jalapeños (if desired), chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, bay leaves, and chicken in a 3-quart slow cooker; mix well and cover. Cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours (or on low for 4 to 5 hours), or until chicken is tender.
Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with 2 forks.
Evenly divide chicken between 8 tortillas. Top evenly with pico de gallo, avocado, lime juice, and cilantro; serve immediately.
Some of the links in my blogs may be affiliate links. See my disclaimer page for more information.