Sometimes simple is best, like in this classic Margherita pizza topped with tomato, mozzarella, and basil.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (16-oz.) package whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tomato sauce, no sugar added
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup whole basil leaves, torn in small pieces
Preheat the oven to 450° F.
Lightly coat 12-inch pizza pan with spray. Starting at the center, and moving outward, use your fingertips to press dough to ½-inch thick. Stretch dough until it won’t stretch any further. Let dough relax for 5 minutes; continue to stretch to desired diameter.
Drizzle oil over dough; spread with a pastry brush to the edges.
Spread tomato sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a quarter-inch border.
Layer with cheese, tomato, and basil.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
Some of the links in my blogs may be affiliate links. See my disclaimer page for more information.